Preventing Maternal Deaths Act of 2017 (H.R. 1318 of the 115th Congress)
Women in the United States are dying from pregnancy-related complications at a higher rate than women in 47 other countries. This alarming fact must be addressed; pregnancy must become safe. In March 2017, a bipartisan group of members of Congress introduced the Preventing Maternal Deaths Act of 2017 to support states in identifying the root causes of maternal death and severe morbidity. The AFE Foundation quickly announced their endorsement of the bill with an official letter of support.
However, to move the bill forward we urgently need your help. Members of Congress need to hear from you and your family to understand why it is necessary to identify proactive solutions to ensure no more moms or babies die from AFE or other complications of pregnancy. Read this summary of the bill.
STEPS TO LEND YOUR SUPPORT:
- Click here to find your Representative and search with your zip code or address.
- Visit the Representative’s website for their contact information.
- Click here to see U.S. Representative is a cosponsor of the bill. If no, proceed to step 3. If yes, see “Thank You” below.
- Call your U.S. House Representative and ask to speak to the health legislative assistant. Tell the health legislative assistant that you would like your member of Congress to cosponsor H.R. 1318 Preventing Maternal Deaths Act of 2017. See talking points below. Before hanging up as them for their email address.
- Send a short email (template below) that is addressed to the member of Congress. Personalize this letter to tell your story and the story of your loved ones.
- I am calling to ask for the Congresswoman/Congressman to please consider cosponsoring H.R. 1318, the Preventing Maternal Deaths Act of 2017.
- This is a bipartisan bill that would support our state in putting an end to preventable maternal deaths.
- Maternal deaths have been on the rise from many health conditions including amniotic fluid embolism.
- The purpose of the legislation is to understand why maternal deaths happen in our state and support the state in identifying solutions to ensure no mother or baby ever dies from preventable circumstances.
- This bill is important to me because [share your experience or that of a loved one].
- Mention you will send you a follow-up letter via email to explain more about the bill.
FOLLOW UP EMAIL :
After making your phone call (please do not skip that crucial step!), fill in and submit the form below to automatically send a follow-up message to your Representative. Add your own thoughts or story in the editable portion so your representative knows how important this issue is to you.